[UPDATE] ‘Good Progress’ Learning About Death of Fortuna Teens, Says CHP Spokesperson
“We still have not had direct contact with the main suspect,” May stated.
At this point we know that a vehicle struck the two teenage girls as they skateboarded along Eel River Drive, a rural road south of Kenmar Drive about 9:15 p.m. on Tuesday, July 12.
The vehicle, a Jeep, fled south. A witness arrived at the accident and called 911 very soon after the accident.
Scanner traffic records tells us that at approximately 9:25 p.m. an officer reports to dispatch. He states, “1148ing X [code for transporting a female]…mother of the possible victim from Drake Hill down towards…[this part is covered by another sound.] Listen at 26:14 below.
We believe that this is an officer transporting the mother of one of the victims from her home near the accident scene to her daughter.
One child died on the scene and the other died after being flown to the Oakland Children’s Hospital for treatment.
The next day the suspect vehicle, a grey 2015 Jeep Wrangler, was found at the residence of one of the victim’s mothers not far from the scene of the crime. According to May, the vehicle was found in the backyard behind a fence. He said that contrary to a report we had previously published, he did not believe the vehicle was covered by a tarp.
May stated that officers were on the trail of the vehicle used in the incident before an lawyer for a suspect contacted them. On July 14, Attorney Benjamin Okin told us that he thought that information from his client led to the search of the Becker Lane home in Fortuna where the suspect vehicle was found. He stated, “I believe that it is our contact that led to recovery of the jeep and the search warrant.”
However, Officer May stated, “We had the info before we were contacted by the attorney.”
- Hit and Run: Child Injured in Fortuna
- Two Teenage Girls Killed by Hit and Run Driver
- Witness May Have Seen Vehicle Fleeing Last Night’s Fatal Hit and Run
- Vehicle Involved in Hit and Run Death of Teens Found Near Home of Mother of One of the Teens
- CHP Confirms They’ve Recovered Vehicle Involved in Fatal Hit and Run at One of the Victim’s Residences
- Driver of Vehicle in Tuesday’s Hit and Run Has Contacted Law Enforcement
- A Candlelight Vigil for the Two Young Girls Tragically Killed in a Hit and Run Accident
- Grief Counseling Offered at Fortuna Middle School
- Good Progress’ Learning About Death of Fortuna Teens, Says CHP Spokesperson
- 911 Call Reporting the Hit and Run Which Left Two Girls Dead Last Week; Warning, This Is Graphic Audio