Structure Fire Kills Dog; Leaves Residents Without a Home
On June15, at approximately 2358 hrs. Humboldt Bay Fire responded to a residential structure fire at 1822 I Street. One of the occupants smelled smoke inside and saw fire coming from back of the residence. She awoke the other occupant and they both fled down the stairs out of the residence.
The first arriving units found heavy fire coming from all windows with some of the flames impinging on a garage located on a neighboring property. Crews attacked a well-established fire with large hand lines. Due to the age and design of the structure, the fire had penetrated into concealed spaces in the walls ceiling and attic area making the fire very difficult to extinguish. Crews were pulled from inside the structure after a minor collapse of a porch to the rear. After 30 minutes crew were able to knock down the fire enough to go back inside and fully extinguish the fire.
All of the contents are a total loss and the structure received heavy charring and damage to 90% of the interior. .
3 engines 1 truck and 2 chief officers responded to the fire along with2 fire support volunteer and Eureka Police officers and support volunteers for traffic control. Arcata Fire Protection District provided 1 engine for assistance at the scene.
Loleta Fire and Samoa Peninsula Fire provided coverage of Humboldt Bay’s jurisdiction.
Red Cross was contacted and provided housing for the family.
No injuries were reported
Damage is estimated at $150000
Content loss is estimated at $25000
Minor paint charring damage of $500 was estimated for the neighboring garage.
One of the families dogs was lost in the fire and later found deceased.
Smoke alarms save lives. Check them regularly and change the batteries twice a year!
More photos and video on earlier post here: Residential Structure Fire; ‘I’ Street Closed