Burn Permits Required May 1st

UntitledTime to rethink your burning plans: Here are two press releases from Cal Fire, one from Mendocino and one from Humboldt/Del Norte, reminding you that today, May 1st, burn permits are required. At the bottom is a short video reviewing safety practices and rules.

Press release from Cal Fire Mendocino:

Due to fuel conditions throughout the County, CAL FIRE Mendocino Unit Chief Christopher P. Rowney advises Burning Permits are required prior to ANY outdoor burning on State Responsibility Lands (SRA) in Mendocino County effective 12:01 AM Sunday, May 1st, 2016.
Burning Permits may be obtained at CAL FIRE’s Howard Forest Headquarters office Monday through Friday 8 AM to 5 PM. Additionally, permits may be obtained from 8 AM to 5 PM at the following CAL FIRE locations.

Not all CAL FIRE Stations are staffed seven days a week; please contact your local Station to assure staffing will be available to assist you.
CAL FIRE Location
Boonville Station
Covelo Station
Howard Forest Station
Fort Bragg Station
Ukiah Station

Burning Permits can also be obtained from the following local agencies (Note: the following agencies only issue permits within their respective districts): Laytonville, Little Lake (Willits), Redwood Valley-Calpella and Brooktrails Fire Departments Monday through Friday 8 AM to 5 PM.
Before you burn, ensure it’s a permissive burn day by contacting the Mendocino County Air Management District, (707) 463-4391 and make sure you have any and all required burn permits.

CAL FIRE reminds everyone that it is their individual responsibility to use fire safely and to prevent fires. Visit www.ReadyforWildfire.org for more information on how to prepare for and prevent wildfires.

Anyone with questions about burn permits is urged to contact the nearest CAL FIRE facility.

Press release from Cal Fire Humboldt – Del Norte:

cal fireThe California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) Humboldt – Del Norte Unit would like to remind residents a CAL FIRE burn permit (LE-5) is now required for Non-Standard burn permit holders beginning May 1, 2016.

Humboldt – Del Norte Unit Chief Hugh Scanlon wants to emphasize to the public the importance of following all burning regulations and ensuring controlled burns do not escape and become wildland fires. Chief Scanlon says, “The public living in wildland areas should prepare for increased wildfire activity this year due to the drier than normal conditions in California.” Residents are encouraged to conduct their burning early. Learn more how you can prepare for wildfire by visiting www.ReadyForWidlfire.org.

To obtain the required CAL FIRE burn permit, contact the nearest CAL FIRE office for an application. LE-5 permit applications may require an on-site visit by CAL FIRE personnel to determine if specific precautions need to be included in the permit to conduct a safe burn. Burn permits are required year round by the North Coast Unified Air Quality Management District (NCUAQMD). NCUAQMD burn permits can be obtained on-line at ncuaqmd.org, in-person at 707 L Street, Eureka M-F 9 to Noon & 1-4, or by calling (707) 443-3093.



  • clearlake fool

    permits also required in lake county starting may 1

    • CF: My daughter says that Burn Permits in Lake Co cost $25, and that “Burn Days” are practically nonexistent because the Lake Co Chamber of Commerce touts the County as having the “cleanest air in California” which is a plus for the Real Estate interests.
      Many folks seem to feel that the holocaust in Lake last year was due to this collusion to obstruct preventative burning; and that Lake Co “Air Quality” is hopeless skewed in favor of those interests.
      What do you think? af

      • clearlake fool

        i think thats a very true assessment
        way too much underbrush needs cleaning and when it catches fire , all hell breaks loose

  • veterans friend

    Aren’t burn permits required at any time?

  • “a drier than normal year” Did this guy leave the area last winter?

  • Dyerville Loop is Not Alderpoint

    With all that black hand cal fire illegal tax money for advertising and p.r. youd think we could hear a word from Southern Humboldt. Garberville, Alderpoint….. etc.etc.. Oh thats right, they are only there1/2 the year. Support our local vollunteers…. They are the ones on the scene, and the ones that should be receiving the tax. Maybe cal fire should have to do a few BBQs to raise their yearly monies…..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *