Cat Dies in Apparent Cooking Mishap Fire, Multiple People Displaced

image

A cat died and at least three people were displaced by a fire in Eureka tonight.

At about 6:30 p.m., fire crews responded to a duplex fire in the 2400 block of Union Street.

“I was cooking tacos,” said a teary-eyed occupant. “The grease went everywhere and I couldn’t put the bloody thing out.”

The man, who lived in the building, was holding one of the cats that survived named Sassy. He said his other cat died in the fire.

image

Firefighters give oxygen to the cats

Another occupant of the duplex, who was standing with a dog, said she was waiting to find out if the fire had affected her apartment. She said her neighbors came running over to her apartment to have her call 911 because they couldn’t find their phone.

“When I arrived on scene I saw fire coming from the first floor kitchen, which appears to be the origin,” said Humboldt Bay Fire Battalion Chief Chris Jelinek.

Jelinek said they were still investigating, but they believed the fire was accidental. He said there were four occupants in the building at the time of the fire. Red Cross was requested to respond to the scene.

image

Update 10:25 p.m.: Additional photos provided by a reader.

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmail

5 comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *