Pets Die in Christmas Fire

Press release from Humboldt Fire:

Humboldt Bay Fire HBFShortly after midnight on December 25th Humboldt Bay Fire was dispatched to an investigation of a house fire which the owner believed to be extinguished but needed verification that the fire was out. The initial dispatch included a squad and an engine (five firefighters) to investigate and remove smoke from the residence. Upon arrival the officer from Squad 8174 observed moderate smoke and fire coming from a window and heavy smoke throughout the residence.

Based upon conditions the response was upgraded to a first alarm assignment. First arriving crews quickly knocked down the fire and removed smoke from the residence.

The fire was caused by newspaper and kindling being placed too close to an operating wood burning stove. Heat from the stove ignited the newspaper and started the fire, spreading to walls and surrounding combustibles. The owner said she woke up with her dog, which ordinarily sleeps in the living room near the wood stove, in her bedroom barking. After realizing her home was on fire she attempted to extinguish it with a garden hose before calling 911. There were no working smoke detectors inside the residence. The owner and dog were uninjured, but unfortunately a pet bird and frog died due to smoke exposure.

Property damage is estimated at $6,000.

During this holiday season please take a few moments to verify your home has working smoke detectors. When we sleep our sense of smell is greatly diminished and the odor of smoke cannot be relied upon to alert us to the presence of a fire.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *