Three Car Accident Closes Hwy 101 Near Redcrest


A four three car accident has closed 101 in both directions near Redcrest with no estimated time of reopening. Caltrans has posted the following on their Facebook page. A reader sent in the photos.


UPDATE 4:08 P.M.: Southern Humboldt Resident Angie Gillam who witnessed the accident tells us that there were only three cars involved. “The two guys in the car had bloody nose and bloody mouths,” she said.

UPDATE 7/1: CHP press release:


On 6/30/2015 at approximately 1435 hours, a Dodge Durango, driven by a 17 year old male of Mashpee, MA was traveling southbound in the #2 lane of US-101, just south of mile post marker 37.68.  A Cadillac Escalade was traveling in the southbound #1 lane approximately .1 miles behind the Dodge. For reasons still under investigation, the Dodge made an unsafe turning movement to the right and traveled off the west roadway edge. The front end of the Dodge collided into the back of an unoccupied Ford F-250 which was parked on the right shoulder. As a result of the collision, the impact caused the Ford to travel across the southbound lanes causing the front of the Ford to collide into the front left quarter panel of the Cadillac. The Ford came to rest across the northbound and southbound #1 lanes. The Dodge came to rest across both  southbound lanes. The Cadillac came to rest in the southbound #1 lane.

The passenger of the Dodge suffered minor injuries and was transported to Redwood Memorial Hospital by City Ambulance of Eureka. The driver of the Dodge sustained minor injuries and did not seek medical aid. The driver of the Cadillac was not injured.

Both directions of travel were diverted to SR-254 (Avenue of the Giants). The northbound lanes were closed for approximately 1 hour and the southbound lanes of US-101 were closed for approximately 2 hours.

The California Highway Patrol, Cal Fire, City Ambulance of Eureka and Cal Trans all responded to the scene. Alcohol or drugs do not appear to be a factor in this collision. This collision is still under investigation by the Garberville CHP.


One comment

  • 101 reopened just after I came through on the detour going south. I’d say about 4:30 or a bit later.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *