Cooking Mishap Results in $10,000 in Damage

The following is a press release from Humboldt Bay Fire:

Humboldt Bay Fire HBFAt 3:56 PM on 6-17-15, Humboldt Bay Fire Engines 8113, 8112, 8115, Truck 8181, Battalions 8105, 8104, 8109 and Chief 8100 responded to a reported structure fire at 3333 Ingley. B8105 arrived on scene and reported light smoke showing from a house. The occupants had exited the structure and were standing on the sidewalk. Units quickly extinguished a small fire in the kitchen, searched the residence to confirm all occupants were outside and safe and removed smoke from the house. The fire was confined to the kitchen area and did not spread to any other parts of the house, which did sustain smoke and fire damage worth approximately $10,000. The fire occurred when one of the occupants was cooking in a frying pan and the cooking oil flashed, spreading to the nearby wall. Fortunately, the ‘cook’ recognized the danger and quickly exited the house with his family.

Humboldt Bay Fire reminds all residents to ensure they have working smoke detectors in the living and sleeping areas of their houses. Also have working fire extinguishers, and know where they are located!


One comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *