Alarm Saves Arcata Residents

Press release provided by the Arcata Fire District:

arcata fireAt 3:31 a.m. today, Arcata Fire District responded to a possible structure fire located in a four-plex apartment in the 80 block of G Street. Firefighters arrived and contacted the three residents outside the building. Smoke was visible throughout the apartment.

Firefighters entered the apartment and found a smoldering fire in the corner of one bedroom. They quickly extinguished the burning material and removed the smoke from the building. The fire started as a result of combustible materials being stored against a heater. While investigating the fire, firefighters found that the hallway smoke alarm had been removed. “Fortunately for the tenants, their Carbon Monoxide alarm activated and woke them up,” said Chief Desmond Cowan. “It’s absolutely crucial that people have working smoke alarms in their homes. Without the Carbon Monoxide alarm sounding, this fire could have ended in a real tragedy.”

Arcata Fire District reminds everyone to test their smoke alarms and CO detectors regularly and to have a working smoke alarm in every sleeping area, the hallway outside the sleeping areas, and on every level. Smoke alarms and Carbon Monoxide alarms save lives!

Two engines and a ladder truck with six firefighters and one Chief Officer responded to the incident. No injuries were reported and the damage is unknown at this time.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *