Vehicle and Shed Lost to Fire in McKinleyville, Resident Injured

50506_103332_220Press release provided by Arcata Fire District:

Shortly after 10:00 this morning, Arcata Fire District responded to an unknown fire type in the Central Avenue and Airport Road area with multiple 9-1-1 calls from citizens stating there was a large column of smoke in the area. As firefighters responded they received additional information that a resident needed medical care for an injury at the scene. Arcata-Mad River Ambulance responded to the scene.

The first engine on scene updated the location as the 3200 block of Dows Prairie Road and reported a large, black column of smoke coming from behind a three story single family residence. Engine 8217, with two firefighters, directed personnel to assist the patient and began to pull hose lines to the rear of the house where a fully involved shed threatened the home. Paramedics assisted the patient while firefighters controlled the fire and kept it from spreading to the house. Firefighters had the fire under control within about 10 minutes of arriving.

The cause of the fire appears to be accidental and the result of the owner working on the electrical wiring in a vehicle in the shed. The shed and the vehicle are a complete loss, though no monetary value is known at this time.

The resident suffered smoke inhalation and shortness of breath at the incident. Emergency personnel assessed the patient and he refused transport to the hospital.

Arcata Fire District responded with three engines, six personnel on scene working the fire and two chief officers. Humboldt Bay Fire responded with one engine and a chief officer to provide coverage in the fire district and Arcata-Mad River Ambulance responded with one ambulance. Humboldt County Public Works assisted with logistics by provided road closure signs.

Photos provided by Arcata Fire District


For more information about the Arcata Fire District visit or follow us on /ArcataFire & /ArcataFire






One comment

  • Don’t see she’d here, but I sure see metal containers aka connex boxes.
    These are used to grow indoor swag,…

    Again he should hire a professional, electrical work shouldn’t be done by amateur ass clowns

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *