[UPDATED 3/9] Eureka Resident Dies in Structure Fire Last Night

UPDATE Below:

Original Post: This is a Humboldt Bay Fire Press Release:

Eureka fire(2)On March 6th 2015 at approximately 10:30 PM a Humboldt Bay Fire Engine Company was dispatched to a reported chimney fire at 230 Long Street. Upon arrival the Engine Captain reported that fire had extended to the roof and eaves of a large two-story Victorian-style residence. In addition, a resident had fallen approximately 15’ off of a ladder while attempting to extinguish the fire and had sustained serious injuries. Additional fire units and an ambulance were called to the scene.

As the first due engine company was engaged in patient care, subsequent arriving engines and the truck company focused on extinguishing the fire and checking for extension into the attic. The resident was transported to St Joseph Hospital. Unfortunately, in spite of the efforts of fire, ambulance, and emergency room staff the victim succumbed to his injuries.

Crews extinguished the fire and remained on scene for approximately one hour to ensure the fire was completely out. The fire, caused by wood stove embers landing on and igniting the building’s shake roof, caused approximately $10,000 in fire and smoke damage to the residence.

UPDATE 3/9: Humboldt County Coroner’s Office press release:

On March 6, 2015 an incident occurred at 230 Long Street where a subject fell from a ladder while attempting to extinguish a fire at his residence. The subject was later pronounced deceased at St. Joseph Hospital.

That subject has been identified as David Maxon, age 58, of Eureka. Exact cause of death is pending autopsy results.

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmail

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *