Ammunition, Handgun Described as Authorities Release Information on Shane Miller’s Death Scene
Shasta County Sheriff’s Office Press Release:
On Friday, August 01, 2014, at approximately 2300 hours, an anonymous party reported finding possible human remains on the river bank of the Mattole River, in Petrolia, California. Members of the Petrolia Fire Department responded to the location as well as Deputies from the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office. It was confirmed the remains were in fact human. Detectives from the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office and members of the Department of Justice were called to process the scene and collect the human remains. The Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office contacted Detectives of the Shasta County Sherif’s Office as the body’s location was within an area where Shane Miller’s had previously fled from law enforcement.
On Saturday, August 02, 2014 the scene was processed and the remains were collected by the Humboldt County Coroner’s Office with assistance from the Department of Justice, and Detectives from the Shasta County Sheriff’s Office. The remains were located in a draw surrounded by heavy vegetation approximately 1,500 feet East of where Shane Miller’s vehicle was located. The remains were partially covered in silt from water runoff during rainy conditions. The remains were clothed in a sweat shirt, pants and boots. Adjacent to the remains was a FNH Five-Seven 5.7X28 mm handgun with a loaded magazine. Three additional loaded FNH magazines were adjacent to the handgun. The blue tipped polymer ammunition in the magazines was consistent with ammunition located in Shane Miller’s truck and at the homicide scene in Shingletown.
On Sunday, August 03, 2014 the skeletal remains were positively identified through dental records as those of Shane Franklyn Miller. The positive identification was made by Doctor William Farrell who is a forensic odontologist from Shasta County. The cause of death is pending further investigation by the Humboldt County Coroner’s Office.
The Shasta County Sheriff’s Office is grateful to the approximately 24 different law enforcement agencies who participated in this investigation as well as the citizens and volunteers. Shane Miller was featured on the top “15 Most Wanted” List with the United States Marshall’s Service. The search for Shane Miller was in the forefront of media attention both locally and nationally. This investigation was the featured premiere for John Walsh’s new series “The Hunt”. The Shasta County Sheriff’s Office is very appreciative to the media for getting information out to assist in this investigation.
- Humboldt Connection in Shasta Triple Murder
- Vehicle of Suspect in Shasta County Triple Slayings Found at Mouth of Mattole
- Mattole Schools Close as Manhunt Continues
- Sheriff Downey: Where We’re At in the Mattole Manhunt
- Afternoon Manhunt Update: No Leads to Report, But Tour of the Unknown Coast Will Go Forward
- Whitethorn School Opens But the King Range Conservation Area Closes
- Photos of Petrolia as Hunt for Triple Homicide Suspect Continues
- No News From the Shane Miller Manhunt in the Mattole Valley
- More Officers Arrive to Search for Triple Homicide Suspect
- Dead Body Rumors Unfounded, Says Lt. Hanson
- Shelter in Place Request Lifted—Caution Still Advised as Authorities Search for Homicide Suspect, Shane Miller
- Law Enforcement Expands Manhunt to New Boundries
- ‘Defeated’ Suspect in Triple Homicide Left Note in His Abandoned Truck
- Sheriff’s Office Manhunt
- Today: Checkpoints, Door-to-Door Searches, More Marshals Arriving
- Today’s Sheriff’s Office Update From the Shane Miller Manhunt
- ‘We Don’t Care If You Have a Meth Lab in Your Backyard, We Just Want to Find the Baby Killer!’
- Miller Told Ex ‘Everything Will Be Alright’
- Miller’s Dog Found—Law Enforcement Searches for Hikers Who Found Her
- King Range Manhunt Winds Down
- More on the Search for Shane Miller
- Underground Bunker Searched for Shane Miller
- US Marshals Add Shane Miller to Most Wanted List
- Shane Miller Spotted in Siskiyou County?
- NBC Revisits the Shane Miller Case
- Most Wanted Murder Suspect Shane Miller Subject of Filming in Petrolia
- Human Remains Found by Petrolia Fire Department Last Night
- Human Remains Confirmed to Be Those of Triple Homicide Suspect Shane Miller
- Strong Possibility’ Shane Miller Committed Suicide